Sunday, January 31, 2010

I Will Figure It Out as I Go


I am reading Jonathon Mead's ebook excerpt. It is profound and once again reminds me that nothing amazing is simple. He says three things at the end of Chapter 5.I have not quoted exactly but the ideas are his and they are profound.

Regularly push yourself out of your comfort zone. Always do what you are afraid to do. When you are working on a project and it seems like everything is difficult, keep going. If it was easy it would be ordinary not amazing.

Change your auto response. Instead of thinking "I don't know so I won't do that." Change your thinking to "I'll figure it out as I go." Just this small tweak to your inner conversation changes the way you look at things. It is true that everything that seemed hard looks easy in retrospect. If I look back at any daunting challenge of the past, the challenge seems trivial. It is because you grew to the challenge and Oliver Wendell Holmes says it best. "Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions."

Don't let not knowing keep you from taking action. Remember that paths are made by walking. Not knowing keeps me from acting. Kids act without knowing. They are spontaneous and interesting as a result. We admonish them for not weighing the consequences of their actions. But we can go too far in the weighing of consequences and never act. As adults we have learned to weigh the consequences and are trapped by it. Two extremes. Neither is optimal. Somewhere in the middle lies the path. Go look for it by acting.

Check out my blog at http://fiftyandalmostfabulous.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...